This summer I had the chance to take a 30 day road trip across Canada with my spousal unit. The trip was more of a vacation/holiday, but of course I wanted to document our trip. Here is a look at the quick recap video that I edited together, plus a few photos.
As per my last post I attempted to bring with me only the essentials. I really didn't want my gear to way me down. So I brought my four year old Canon 5DM3, DJI Phantom 3 Pro and the newest addition to my camera family, the DJI Osmo. For the 5DM3 I used my Canon 35mm 1.4 about 85% of the time while the other 15% I used my Canon 24-70mm 2.8. I will be honest with you, I really didn't miss much of my other gear. Sure it would have been nice to have a slider here and there, maybe a quick jib shot, but over all I was very happy with my choice.
Reflecting back on the trip it really made me realize you can still create a meaningful story, with minimal gear. I feel at times we (as in filmmakers) tend to get caught up in the gear over the story, and because of this the story isn't as good as it could be. I will be keeping this in mind as I dive into a few new projects the next coming months.
Here are a few more photos of our trip!